More insulation works

With the floor insulation in place I needed to put back the lower part of the stairs, but before I could do that I wanted to put the wall insulation in, as then it is easier to get to it.

On Sunday I planned to insulate the sewer pipe between the house and the first put according to the regulations. It seemed a pretty easy job, but in the end took the entire day. But nice to have that last little piece done as well.

The last piece of floor insulation

Last week was Mo’s birthday and the weekend we went to Saaremaa, so after that we needed to step up a bit. We added some more ceiling, but with the dropping temperatures we where reminded that the hallway was the last part of the house that does not have floor insulation yet and had a hatch where a lot of cold air came through, so for the weekend we planned to insulate the floor.

In between we had trouble with the heating system again. Pelltech responded promptly and send a repairman, who replaces the main board and some other parts.

On Saturday Jeff came to help. We got the osb and insulation for the floor and started taking out the 4 cm thick beams. Pretty soon we found the first once with woodworm in it, so it was double good to take out the floor. Since we had to make an underfloor to hold the insulation and then close it, time flew by so we did not finish during the weekend, but we did get close. Already half way the work we noticed the hallway was getting more comfortable.

The next day I just had to replace the last part in front of the door and under the stairs. When I crawled under the stairs, I found a piece of would so filled with woodworm I could just vacuum it away, so I was very happy this floor was being replaced. But to replace the floor I needed to remove a supporting beam of the stairs. This is where the highlift jack came in handy again. At the end of the day the floor was fully replaced and we had a garden full of future burning wood.

Start of the bedroom

Now that most of the basic needs are done. We have sewer, water, electricity, heating and insulation, we can now really start with the fun and rewarding (and expensive) part of the renovation, the construction and decoration.

We figured a bedroom would be a nice start, especially since when that is done we can move the bed from the living room, creating space to finish that and then the rest will follow like a waterfall.

With the help of Jeff we got the wooden boards we planned to cover the room and make a nice ceiling. The first thing we had to do was stain the wood with white wash paint. As the wood has tongue and groove, it has to be stained before putting it in so you won’t get unstained parts visible when the wood warps a bit.

The next day we went to get the clips to connect the boards blindly. As ABC was doing inventory today, we went to K-Rauta, where we also saw a bathroom sink we liked. Although those things are still very overpriced. Back home we start putting in the first boards. They fit the length of the room, which is very beautiful but also makes it pretty tricky to get them in place. Together we succeeded though. A nice start of our bedroom.

Spelling error report

The following text will be sent to our editors: