Cleaning out the shed

With the wall fixed up, I figured I could clean out out shed and make a space for the garden tools and for the bags of pellets, as that way they are closer to the heater.
The work mostly consisted at taking out the wood I put there from the first work almost 2 years ago. I moved it to the old shed in the back of the garden where I have stored more wood until I get to cut it in pieces for the sauna heater.
When the place was empty I could broom it clean and make a rack for the bigger garden tools. I cut a few pallets to size, so the bags with pellets would fit on them and moved the last bags from the garage to the shed. I guess it is time to order some more.

Later in the week I moved some of the last rubble that my dad dug out the bathroom area to the very back of the garden, where there is a piece of no-ones land, that can use some straightening. Later that day the pellets where delivered, so I could check how they would fit. Pretty nice, I would say.

Workbench and garden shed

After a week of very visible work a week of less noticeable work followed. I finished the driveway outside of the gate, but then I went back into the garage and worked on the workbench. When I dry fitted all the joints I was impressed by how sturdy the workbench was already. I was looking forward to gluing it all together.

I also wanted to close the wall in the garden shed that has been build on the back of the house as there is still some cold air seeping in. For the bathroom I had taken out half of the windows, so there was a spare part on both sides of the window on the outside. While doing this, I noticed the part of the wall under the window was pretty crooked, so the result was not perfect, but good enough for a shed.

Garage kitchen and driveway

With all the space in the garage kitchen it is motivating to clean the place up. I started with cleaning the walls, it looked as if I had painted them. There was a lot of dirt on the paint. After that I placed some of the old Ikea cabinets that came from my grand parents. They fitted very nice. As the cabinets with the doors had been hanging cabinets, I made shelves to add to them.

In between, 4 months after ordering them, the guitar wall holders for Mattias finally came in, just a few weeks after his birthday, but it sure is a finishing touch to his room.

Recently I had noticed there is a hole in the driveway where the trailer tends to get into while backing it up into the driveway. I decided to fill it up with some left over sand that was kind of in the way anyway and than cover it with some of the split we still had on a big pile in the middle of the driveway. This gave such a nice result I continued working on the driveway the rest of the week.

Little by little it really started to become a driveway. When I met former coworker Jarkko at a house warming party who said he really like carrying stones and wood, we made an appointment to move the pile of stones that has been laying against the house for as long as we know to a better place. Mattias also helped cleaning up the bricks pieces at the front of the house. This cleaned up even more and the result looks great!

Workbench and garden work

If you search the internet for Morovian workbench you will get a lot of information on how to build one yourself. I started with making the countertop and once I had glued the two pieces together I could already use it by putting it on some supports. Then the real work started, making mortise and tenon joints, bridle joints and dove tails. One of the reasons I picked this workbench is to get back into wood construction.

During the weekend we decided to pick the apples that had not fallen yet, so we can store them. After that I figured it would be a good idea to extend the electrical system from the garage to the train roofs, having a light and a power point there will come in handy. Doing this also was a good excuse to clean another piece of garden, so next season we will have grass there and not weeds.

As a last thing this weekend Mo and I moved all the light armatures and cover from the garage kitchen to the train roof, so we can look through that later on and getting more space in the garage at the same time.

Spelling error report

The following text will be sent to our editors: