It has been a busy week, so little work on the house. We did a bit of gardening. More and more flowers are showing their beauty. During the weekend we are going to check out a tulip festival. Unfortunately, we were pretty late in the season, as a bit more south the tulips where almost done, while in the garden they are at their prime.
But on the bright sight, the place had a semi botanical garden with a lot of rock garden plants, so I could show Mo some of the plans I had for part of the front yard.
And due to a question of Mo’s mother, for the first time in years, I know something to ask for my birthday. So I order it and it should be available next week

Work on the car

During the week the 2 din Android radio from AliExpress came in, so time to put that in the car. It turned out a nice puzzle of wires to sift through, find the right connections and adapters. Since the antenna was broken I also needed to replace that, good thing there was a nice affordable replacement especially for this type of car, but at home I found out it also needed another adapter. So I had way to many trips to the car part store. Good thing it is around the corner.

After the radio was working I started measuring the drawers it had made for my Berlingo before to fit them in the back of the car. That will work out nicely. Something for next week. Also I started checking the second hand market for better tires and roof bars for the rooftop tent.

Planting gooseberries and tomatoes

This week, Jan came back from Muhu with my van filled with 3 big old gooseberry bushes I had picket up from a friend of Daan who was redoing her garden. So we decided where to plant them and put them in. The bushes need a lot of trimming, but we figured it would be good to first let the root and than trim them for the next season.

To prepare the car for the vacation trip that seems to be more and more likely to happen, I gave it a 20.000 km service. Oil and filters mainly, it was clear the filters had been skipped the at least the last time. This jumpy has a few parts very well hidden. So I’ll leave the glow plugs for sometime later.

During the weekend, we sifted through the soil in the greenhouse, added horse shit and tomato dirt and than planted them. Very excited to see the results later this summer.

Greenhouse part 3

The next weekend was nice a sunny. Perfect weather to work in the garden. Mo and Mattias worked on the vegetable garden, while I put in the ground anchors and the standing parts to make the greenhouse at least standing height.

Once this was done, I could start tacking on the greenhouse foil we got from Mo’s mother. By the end of the day the greenhouse was ready except for a window and the door.

Greenhouse part 2

On Monday night we went to Mo’s mother again. She had ordered a truck load of horse shit an we would take part of it for our garden. Unfortunately Jan had just taken the trailer for a trip to the Netherlands, so we improvised with a plastic sheet in the van.

During the weekend work on the the greenhouse continued, by now all the parts had been made to fit, so it was time to put them in the linseed oil, as it gives a nice natural finish and as a bonus it smells pretty nice as well.

In between a shaped a new handle for the old ax from my grandfather. I had gotten a slat of beech from a friend, which I glued together to be big enough to make a handle out of it. With the used of the miter saw, a grater bit on the drill and the sanding machine, it was a quick, fun job.

The next day when the linseed oil had dried, I started to put together the first parts of the greenhouse. After I got the hang of it, it went surprisingly fast. Within a few hours I had a construction I could stand on.

Spelling error report

The following text will be sent to our editors: